Sunday, May 10, 2009

Ski and Snowboarding

The other day I was asked if I skied or snowboarded. I said that I skied. Right after I said that comment, the person looked at me as if I was his parent. Quickly noticing this I then continued the story saying that I would like to learn how to snowboard in the future after making some money over summer. My statement seemed to satisfy him as his expression brightened up and cheerfully continued the story by asking where and when I would like to learn to snowboard. This is not the first time it happened to me. I never understood why we created this image that skiing is a parent thing or old people sport much like golf. I remember my parents telling me that they skied back when they were my age and it was the cool thing for them. Now skiing is just the opposite. Snowboarding is the new cool thing on the snow. It really amazes me why people care so much if one likes to snowboard or not. They care so much that I see movies where a skier and a snowboarders are racing together like in Johnny Kapahala: Back on Board in Disney channel. I find both skiing and snowboarding cool and have no problem with both. I suppose it is like the relationship between Rollerblade and skateboards or surfboards and boogie boards. I think we hate skiing because it reminds us of our parents and we feel the need to be different than them. Also it maybe just it is outdated for young people, like using a Windows 98 when one should be using Windows Vista. I will probably never find out for sure but all I can say is that I am glad I am planning on learning to snowboard. After I learn to snowboard, I can proudly say I do both rather than just skiing or snowboarding. Maybe snowboarding is funner than skiing or goes faster than skis. Someday when I am about as old as my parents, skiing will be the super outdated sport and snowboarding maybe the dieing sport much like skiing among young teens and a new sport will be replacing snowboarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment